Reablement and Enablement in East Ayrshire
Help us shape our services in East Ayrshire.
If you, or someone you care for, has used our services for those who have lost some of their independence, often referred to as reablement or enablement, we are interested in hearing your views.
In East Ayrshire we are looking to build our services to support people to be as independent as possible and live as safely and healthily as possible in their homes. One of the ways we do this is by providing support to people when they have lost some of their independence, such as following a period of illness or injury.
This can be when people are returning home after a time in hospital, or when people have been experiencing some more difficulties in their own homes.
The supports could be for practical things like improving walking, managing medication, getting dressed or making a meal, or for helping people to get back to doing things in communities and connecting with other people.
These services are called different things such as Reablement, Enablement, Re-enablement, Rehabilitation and Intermediate Care; however they all have in common the aims of improving people’s confidence and abilities to do as much as possible for themselves.
We need your help to shape the best possible services in East Ayrshire. Right now we have some great examples where people are supported to be as independent as possible, but the access to these services is not consistent and available to all, and we do not have a single agreed name or way to describe these services.
This is where you come in.
Over the next few weeks we are seeking a wide range of views on what we need these services to provide, what we want them to achieve and also what we will call these services so that we can develop a shared vision and work to put this in place.
- During October we will gather opinions using surveys and other methods
- By the middle of November we will collate and share the findings and a draft vision of what the service needs to achieve
- By the end of November we will form a group to take forward this work with wide representation
- In December we will start a small test of change to test out a new model of working
- In early 2023 we will expand this new model across East Ayrshire.
- The questions we want you to answer are:
- Why does a Reablement/ Enablement approach matter?
- What does success look like for people who use services and their carers?
- What does success look like for our communities?
- What should a Reablement/ Enablement approach try to achieve?
- What is already working well that we can build on?
- What should we call the approach?
- Do you have any other comments?
- Would you like to be involved in further detailed discussions? If yes, please send your name and contact details to EAReablement@east-ayrshire.gov.uk.